Toyota shuts down Japan line after 2nd worker is positive for Coronavirus (Covid-19)
The second employee is a male in his 20s. He was tested for the coronavirus on March 21 and on a press release on March 22, Toyota announced that he is positive for Covid-19.
He worked personally with another employee in the same production line. The other employee also tested positive for Covid-19 last week.
Both men were told to stay home following the diagnosis of the first employee. After the latest test result, Toyota said more employees were sent home, upping the number of home quarantined employees to 33.
Toyota also explained that it would temporarily shut down one assembly line at Takaoka from March 23 to 25. The purpose is to disinfect the workplaces and seek additional safeguards to prevent the virus from spreading. After the first diagnosis was reported on March 19, Toyota had accomplished disinfection on all of its workstations.
Toyota president Akio Toyoda, also assuming his role as chairman of the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association, said last week that the country's car companies would do their best to continue with Japan's operations amid the widespread suspensions of factories abroad.
Toyota also apologized sincerely for any concern or anxiety that this particular news may have caused for those living in the surrounding areas. The car company also explained that they would do what they can about the implementation of strict measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19. They also ensured everyone that they would provide up-to-date information if there will be changes in the situation.
Toyota Motor North America announced Thursday that it would temporarily suspend production in all of its North American manufacturing and component plants from March 23 to April 5. Its operations will tentatively resume on April 6, Monday.